Thursday, January 7, 2010

How do I get motor oil off my saddle?

My horse had sweet itch and following someones advice on Q%26amp;A I painted him with motor oil.


The sweet itch is gone but I got oil all over my saddle jodhpurs and leather boots.


I managed to clean the oil off my boots by using petrol but now my black boots are brown,How do I get motor oil off my saddle?
Good heavens! You took the advice of someone telling you to paint the horse with motor oil? That is one of those real old home remedies that was used many, many, many years ago until about the 1960s as people began to wise up to the harmful health affects of prolonged skin exposure to motor oil when the oil companies started printing warnings on the motor oil containers, warnings that began with a statement something like avoid direct contact with eyes and repeated or prolonged skin exposure, and then that warning was soon followed with a more serious caution stating that exposure to used motor oil is known to cause cancer. But why the statement to avoid direct contact with eyes and repeated or prolonged skin exposure to fresh motor oil? After all, skin care products like mineral oil and vaseline are petroleum products. The answer to that is simple. There are no chemical additives in mineral oil and petroleum jelly, but motor oil which is used for lubricant in automobile engines has many chemical additives, some of which to inhibit corrosion and carbon and to help keep rubber engine seals pliable longer. I just don't understand how some people can be so foolish and trust some great-great-granddads home remedies to save a few dollars when it is now known that some of those remedies are harmful to the animals health. The next time you want to save a few dollars by treating sweet itch with a home remedy, I suggest you rub the horse down with a solution of olive oil and minced garlic. That was the old remedy my granddad used and it will not risk the horse's health. But I won't spare expense when it comes to caring for my horses so I prefer sweet itch lotions like Dermoline or Killitch. Good luck with your saddle.How do I get motor oil off my saddle?
Leather is porous so once something like an oil is in the skin, you cannot get it out without seriously damaging the material. Just as an aside, regardless of whether the sweet itch is gone, I would never put petroleum motor oil on my horse's skin. What were you thinking? Would you put motor oil on your head if you had dandruff? Just think of what that junk is made from. How could you do that to your horse. There are lots of things to clear up sweet itch that are safe for your horse and your jods and boots. A good rule of thumb: If I won't put it on my body or feet or nails, then I won't put it on my horse's body or feet or hooves. Pretty simple stuff and you always stay safe. Sorry about your saddle.
I can understand the use of the motor oil, you were trying to get your horse healthy and rideable. As one of the old ';great-great grandpas'; that read this column I may have tried the same thing. I have over the years seen the cheapo home remedies work when the high priced brands didn't.


I throughly clean my saddles a couple of times a year. I was taught to do this by a great grandpa/grandma saddle and harness makers in my area.


1. use a common dish washing liquid (ivory, dawn etc.) wash the saddle down working the suds into the leather, rinse off. Let the saddle dry overnight, about 24 hours.


2. use a glycrine(sp?) bar saddle soap make loose bubbly leather, rinse again. Let dry about 24 hours.


3. Soap a thick lather of the saddle soap on the saddle, let it dry and buff with a soft cloth.


I know this takes a few days, but I have found it is well worth the envestment. I use a leather cleaner (Saddle New) spray a couple of times a week and wipe my tack down after riding. I have some tack that is 40 years old and still soft and pliable, and looks good.


Good Luck
Yeah, I know WHO's advice you followed...MINE! Get some Murphy's Oil Soap and soap up your saddle, and your boots...Wash your jodpurs in COLD water if you haven't washed them yet. Try spraying them with Spray %26amp; wash on the oiled areas and THEN wash 'em...





I should have stated that you shouldn't ride your horse while the motor oil's on it, I thought that was common sense. Sorry.





Once you get what's on off, you're going to need to use an oil for the REST of your tack...Try Olive oil. and don't hit where the stain already is, just around the lighter areas of your tack.





As for your boots, once you get the oil off, then get some leather dye from Tandy's and touch up the brown areas and LET IT DRY!
GOOF OFFF!!!!!=]


http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/5f/4鈥?/a>


It's the ultimate remover=]
I really don't think you can, but i am not an expert, so i don't know!
Swarfega followed by neatsfoot oil might just do it.


Motor oil ????

No comments:

Post a Comment