Thursday, January 7, 2010

Which kind of motor oil to use?

I have a 2005 Z71 Tahoe 5.3 L Vortec. I have always used 5-30 oil as it inticates to do on the top of the oil cap and the owners manual.


I understand that the numbers on the oil are for different driving conditions and temperatures. I think?!?


I have always lived in an area of moderate outside air temperatures, no extreme cold or hot weather.





I am now living in an area in CA that average summer highs are 95-105+ degrees. So my question is.... Should I change to a different weight? Or does it not matter if I'm using a Synthetic?





Let me know cause I'm about ready to change my oil in the next few days and it's already getting hot!Which kind of motor oil to use?
Stick to the 5-30 unless you want to void your warranty. The ambient air temperature is nothing compared to the internal engine temps.Which kind of motor oil to use?
Stick with 5-30, you always want to use the type of oil that is recommended on the oil cap. I use Mobile and in my opinion is the best brand. But it all depends on how much you love your vehicle. Also 5-30 is best because if you think about it when that oil is inside the engine you want that oil to go and hit everywhere and everything which 5-30 is great for. Thinner oil is better for all seasons the oil will be pumped out better everywhere and you won't have to warm up the engine as long when starting it in the morning. The 10-30 is thicker and may not get everywhere so quickly or at all and I recommend warming a car up at least 3min with 10-30. But hey it's up to you.
The 5W30 you are using now is fine. Going to a full synthetic 5W30 will increase the heat range to the upside, so I'd recommend that with warmer temps coming. You'll be just fine. I run full synthetic 5W30 in my Corvette and have had no problems...and where I live we get 90's on a regular basis in the summer. Make sure your coolant is mixed properly as well. Hope this helps.
Anything API certified and recommended by the manufacturer for you vehicle would be fine. For your vehicle 5-30 or even 10-30 should be fine.
5W30 should be fine for where you are at. Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).





Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a ';W'; after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating.





Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. That is what is meant by 5W30 or 10W30. When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation.





Im my opinion, synthetic oil is best for both low temp and high temp applications. Because it has an extended oil change interval it can actually be just as cheap to use as the old dinosaur oil. I run Mobil 1 and Mobil oil filters in my car and change them every 5000 miles. I could go 7500 but I always use a lower figure than recommended so my engines last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment