Thursday, January 7, 2010

Which of these motor oil choices would be best for my car?

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion (2.2L I4) that just rolled over to 80,000 miles. I live in Minnesota, so it's subject to both extreme hot and extreme cold conditions. I've been running almost exclusively Mobil 1 fully-synthetic oil in it since about 20,000 miles. I've had great results with the Mobil 1, and I've felt it's been worth the extra money I've spent. Being that my car is getting up there in age, I've debated switching to one of the high-mileage oils to possibly head-off any leakage or seal problems that might creep up. Which out of these options would you suggest, and why?





1.) Just stick with Mobil 1





2.) Switch to a conventional high-mileage oil





3.) Switch to a fully-synthetic high-mileage oil





4.) Switch to plain-old conventional oil (keep in mind the


temperature extremes)





5.) Another option not listed here....





Thanks for any insight you can give! For some reason this choice is one I'm having trouble making.Which of these motor oil choices would be best for my car?
Taking into consideration where you live and what you have said I think I would stick with Mobil 1. If you have had good luck with your car starting when it is cold there is no reason to change. I believe that Mobil makes good lubricants whether synthetic or conventional. If your engine continues to run well then there is no reason why you should change your brand of oil or maintenance schedule. If your engine starts to leak any type of oil I would consider either a thorough repair or switch to a less expensive synthetic/conventional blend. You don't want to be throwing money away by letting that expensive oil leak. Good luck.Which of these motor oil choices would be best for my car?
Mate,





If I were in your shoes, I would switch to your 3rd option.
Since you've been happy with the synthetic, it is great stuff, keep using it but switch to a 10w30 or 10w40 now since your miles are getting up there. I would still use the 5w30 for the cold months.
I would stick with what has been working. If you start using a conventional oil, the seals and gaskets may not like it. Run a compression test on the engine. Just because the car is getting old does not mean its wearing out. I have a 98 GMC with over 250,000 miles.
stick with the synthetic for sure. i doubt there is much of a difference if any between reg and high mileage oil. except for the price. keep using what you have been if it is working fine and just be sure to change it every 3000mi and you should be fine.





also, assuming you are preforming your own oil changes, be sure you are doing all the maitenence required at each mileage interval such as chassis lubrication, trans fluid, wiper blades, tire rotation, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment