Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can you substitute motor oil for bar oil in a chainsaw?

I bought an inexpensive electric chainsaw to prune some trees in my yard. It didn't come with any oil so I thought I could just use some motor oil. All it does is lubricate the chain, bar, and sprocket. Does anyone have some experience with this?Can you substitute motor oil for bar oil in a chainsaw?
Not a good idea. Motor oil is too thin to do any lubrication on a chainsaw. It may keep it from burning up, but the saw wont last long.Can you substitute motor oil for bar oil in a chainsaw?
I wouldn't do it. I had an older electric chainsaw that didn't specify which oil and that was ok. But the one I bought last month specifically calls for bar oil. Why do you think they recommend that you use a specific oil if it wasn't better for it. Go with what the manufacturer told you. When you're cooking, have you noticed if you can substitute say margarine for butter, the recipe will tell you that. So spend a few xtra dollars and get the right oil so the saw works the way it should.





Enjoy - i bought electric chain saw also b/c I don't like the inconvenience of the gas.
  • skin infection
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment