Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My black lab just knocked over some used motor oil, what do I do to get it off?

She has it all over her front paws and her chest, what is the best way to get it off her? Mineral oil? Dawn?My black lab just knocked over some used motor oil, what do I do to get it off?
My dog found a container of motor oil, took it out on the lawn, chewed it open and rolled in it. I feel your pain. Yes, the vet recommended Dawn and lots of water. Follow up with a doggie coat conditioner to put some of the natural oils back into the coat since the Dawn will strip them out.My black lab just knocked over some used motor oil, what do I do to get it off?
I would use Dawn or any other mild degreasing dish soap and rinse well.
no mineral oil dawn is safer they use it on wild birds and animals that have been in ship oil spills so dawn is best
Dawn is the best thing. Mineral oil will just spread it all over her. Dont let her lick herself!


It may take 2 soaping but Dawn is the safest thing right now!
Dawn and plenty of water.
If its just on her feet you can use dawn dish washing liquid. If the smell is still on her feet rub lemon juice on them! If its all over her....a ONE TIME BATH in dawn won't hurt. Just DON';T GET IT IN HER EYES!!!
Use dish soap. They penetrate oils.
Definitely use Dawn and water. Remember to rinse well. Many grooming shops mix Dawn with a hypoallergenic shampoo for a degreasing shampoo.
I saw a tv show where they were using dishwashing soap to wash birds after an oil spill, so ya try the Dawn just rinse the dog off really well.
A mild dishsoap like dawn would work well.. They are made to be soft on hands, mild on the skin, but cut grease. NEVER EVER use antibacterial soap on your dog tho!
Yes, definitely Dawn. That's what they use on animals who have been caught in an oil spill.

No comments:

Post a Comment