Saturday, December 26, 2009

How do you choose your motor oil?

For clarity's sake, I work for an advertising agency and we are currently doing some research about motor oil for a client.





Any thoughts from professionals or amateur drivers/mechanics about whether the kind of factors help you decide which motor oil to buy; or if you have a preferred motor oil brand you use and why.





If you have a few minutes, I would be really grateful for any thoughts about the subject you might have.





Many thanks!How do you choose your motor oil?
I am surprised that there are so many uninformed people out there. Any one who uses QS or the big ';V'; are not knowledgeable. They do things from habit and not from a researched viewpoint. More engines have have been sludged over by them. The junk yards are loaded with them!!!! I,personally, have desludged engines by almost every manufacturer out there. QS and V begin sludging out almost instantly. They cannot handle temperature extremes. and leave engine parts coated with brown or black waxy crud that over time destroys oil pumps and hydraulic lifters and such. Most people, with any sense, will read the labeling on the oil they are buying. OIls are more manufacturer specific today than ever. There are oils produced with specifications that meet GM standards, Honda standards, etc. VW/Audi require oils that meet specification 502/505 to satisfy warranty. Royal Purple meets NOBODY's specifications!!! (read the label) I trust mobil One products more than any other. They keep the engines cleanest and don't produce sludge. Oil change intervals can be extended. ELF oil from Europe is also excellent. They make oils specific to each car maker. Pennzoil is another fine oil, but they also make cheapy oil. The Platinum series oils keep things clean, as well.When I work on cars, I always remove the oil filler cap and flip it over. If there are brown waxy or black flaky deposits on it, I know the whole inside of the engine looks exactly the same. Engine wear is emminent. I use Butyl Cello-solve to remove all the crap other oils have left in. I clean rings, valve tops, and other engine vitals to prepare for the use of a higher quality oil, like Mobil One. The oils I have mentioned meet ASEA, and ILSAC standards, and are the recommended oils by the finest car makers in the world!!!How do you choose your motor oil?
I'm the no nonsense type mechanic, I don't buy into all of the advertising and fancy bottles. I use Quaker State and Valvoline and this is just a personal choice. I've had over 75 cars over the last 42 years and none of them experienced engine failure due to oil break down. The newer synthetics are OK but are they worth the additional money? I personally don't think so. The high based paraffin oils tend to burn too quickly and on tear down all of that is burnt itself to ever internal part and tanking is the only way to clean them up. Use what you like, I'll stick to what works for me.
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic. We have used it in our race engines for years now and have always found it to perform the best. Nothing sells an oil better than experience. I know that our race engines have put Mobil1 through more than anything I would ever put my own car engine through. Mobil1 has been put to the test in my eyes and therefor I wont use anything else.





Which factors help me decide: proof.
I am a high mileage driver, as of right now i have 315000 km's on a 2002. and on my third car in 4 years. I have lots of experence in oils. I find that quaker state is the best. It seems to hold up great after a hard 5000kms. I have used all the fancy oils and for the cost of them, they are not worth the extra.
i usually stick with the same brand and weight. i always buy 10w30 high mileage pennzoil. that,s what i got and changed my oil yesterday. i like it because i used it for several years and all the cars i had never had any trouble with the motors.
i just put in a new engine in my chevy and i use the highend synthetics because they will make your engine last longer in the end i use 5w-20 Royal Purple or Lucas Motor oil
  • skin infection
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment