Saturday, December 26, 2009

How many miles is Shell Helix Ultra (fully synthetic) motor oil good for?

I just got myself a bottle of Shell Helix Ultra motor oil. This oil is fully synthetic. I have a 2008 Honda Civic and was wondering how many miles the Shell Helix Ultra will be good for since its fully synthetic. I've never used synthetic oil previously...I used to change my oil previously at 3.5k miles.How many miles is Shell Helix Ultra (fully synthetic) motor oil good for?
Regardless of the oil, whether it be fully synthetic, blend or pure oil, I try to still change my oil every 3,000 miles. It just helps with the basic wear and tear of the vehicle. BUt synthetics are supposed to work for many many miles. I seen an example of synthetic once where they ran an engine for 30 minutes, pulled the plug and drained out all the oil, and then the engine ran for another 8 hours without blowing. The synthetic oil leaves a microscopic film to help protect and to keep durability in your motor. However I still like to change mine every 3,000 so that all harmful deposits from the actual firing of the spark plugs and that build up that gets in the valve train, out of the engine. As for brand, one is just about as good as the other. Shell is good, along with Quaker State, Valvoline, Havoline, and Motorcraft even makes a good oil product.How many miles is Shell Helix Ultra (fully synthetic) motor oil good for?
I would say Synthetic oil is good for around 7,500 to 10,000 mile range depending on whether you drive more in the city or highway. Also the amount of oil capacity of the engine will also effect the life of the oil. City driving being the most strenuous on the engine and requiring more frequent oil changes.
Your Civic is equipped with an oil wear measuring device that displays on the dash.


I would think you may be able to extend the change intervals.


Regardless of the oil, it still collects impurities with use.

1 comment: